We packed a picnic lunch today and took the dingy to the beach. The water was so clear I thought I was stepping out into 2 feet of water and it turned out to be 5 feet deep. It has always been my job to provide entertainment for De Anne. Mission accomplished! My new beach towel, unused dating back to 2002, finally filled it's purpose in life. I had prepared for just such an incident by always putting my wallet in a ziplock bag before stepping into the dingy. We had a fun time, brought some beach sand back to the boat, and hung my clothes on the lifelines just as a tour boat passed by. It is part of identifying yourself as a cruiser - lots of junk on deck and clothes drying on the lines. I'm sure the view from the million dollar yachts (must be a hundred here in Old Pass Lagoon) is like looking at a mobile home with 3 junk cars up on cement blocks.
The weather is looking bad for sailing this weekend so we will enjoy this protected lagoon several more days. There are quite a few nice restaurants with dingy docks so we will have to pick carefully this weekend.
This was my view with coffee in hand this morning:
2 comments:
HELLO,
It’s great to see you’re underway and things are going as scheduled, reasonable expectations / minimal regrets. Capt. Ron is dead on, although beware of harbor sickness; it’s tough to shake.
I’m guessing you’ll be following the coast at least down to Marco. I recommend going to the Rod & Gun Club in Everglades City, just don’t rely on the chart plotter; you’ll end up in the mangroves. There’s a good book, “Killing Mr. Watson” by Peter Matthiessen that takes place around the 1900’s in the 10,000 Island area. It’s based on facts and takes place around Chokoloskee Bay, Everglades City and Chatham Bend. If you’re up to an adventure, take the dink back into the Watson Place at high tide. It’s charted and worth the trip.
The boat looks great and SPOT’s cool. I’ll keep you in sights.
Don’t be late for today’s lessons.
Cheers,
Reality Bights
Did the snow make you feel like being back in Indiana? At least on the weather maps it looked like you received snow. Safe travels.
Post a Comment