Saturday, January 24, 2009

First Sail


We said goodbye to Northern Light as they pulled out bound for Pensacola a few days ago.

Itching to get out for a first test sail we were finally free after the marine surveyor appeared on Thursday.

Leaving the dock under high wind conditions was difficult. Once out in the bay we discovered a few small problems in the rigging to be fixed this weekend. After a wonderful sail and heading back in I discovered that staying in the narrow channel was a must. Luckly for us Mobile Bay bottom is soft muck and a kind powerboater with a 250 hp engine put us back in the channel in under 30 seconds.

Returning to dock - still high winds - I opted for straight in. Fortunately, our pilings slowed us down.

De Anne and I agreed it was a learning experience and no great harm to us or the boat and called it a successful day.

3 comments:

Theron said...

I noticed that your GPS said you were out in the water yesterday. My first thought was "Oh god, they've gone for a swim and were swept out to sea!" I'm glad to hear that everything is OK after all. ;-)

Anonymous said...

You're on your way! Yeah!

Anonymous said...

Well you missed the 6th largest winter storm to hit Indianapolis yesterday. Offical was 12 inch but TV was reporting 18 to 20 downtown. It was Hard driving north today until I reached I69/465. I know you are feeling bad for all of us. WE can feel your warmth. Glad to see you are on your way. When are you moving on south? I am heading out on vacation for 1 week to Florida on February 14th. I will be on the west coast (Tampa and South)the 1st part of the week.