I have been fixing all the little things that boat maintenance requires. The water level in the bilge was rising and the smaller pump was not working, so in keeping with the first law of boating (keep the water out of the boat) I made tracking down the leak tops on the to-do list. Turned out a water filter was leaking so with West Marine $28 richer, and half an hour of laying on the floor, the sea was once again - temporarily - on the proper side of the boat.
Wednesday morning De Anne, foresaking the usual good morning greeting, woke me with a cheery "the bilge pump went off several times last night". The first law invoked again. This time it was the water filter on the fresh water tank, so instead of infinite water only 50 gallons was in play. All is fixed now, and the small bilge pump is working again.
It's not all work. The sound of the travel lift is a siren song to me. This is a working marina so boats are regularly being hoisted in and out. West Marine is a short stroll away and I seem to need to visit several times a day. Also, a huge wooden trimaran from Galvaston that was damaged in hurricane Ike is here for repairs and I feel obliged to regularly check the quality of repairs.
Tonight we will join some new friends on their Tartan 41 for a drink.
I haven't missed work yet, maybe later........
5 comments:
You haven't missed work yet, maybe later.....? No, enjoy yourselves - life is too short and you and De Anne are living the dream of a lifetime!
Hi Merrick & De Anne,
The place looks great and homey.
Enjoy your warm, wonderful weather while those of us in Indy are freezing our butts off. Don't work too hard while soaking up the wonderful sunshine.
Miss ya, Connie & Jim
You need to leave port very soon. I hope you have a heater on board with the reported Alabama temps. Enjoy the good life. I will be soon behind you.
Hi, I am back in Atlanta for a follow up visit w Dad. Tristan has spent the wknd driving & hiking in N Ga w David, brother Mike & Luke. Showing Dad your BLOG. We both teared up!!! The family is so proud of your guts and determination. You are living your dream. A bad day in the marina beats a bad day in the office. A leak in a boat is far more exciting than a leak in a basement. Dad and I send hugs n kisses. lil sis, Denise
Merrick & De Anne,
Thanks for the note. We're now at Palafox Marina in Pensacola. A great marina right downtown. Spent last night in Ingram Bayou, very cold.. I don't have your email address, if you send it to me we can stay in touch.
Best of luck to ya'll.
Brad
Post a Comment