In the morning I could see 7 boats had been "relocated". One boat in the mooring field broke it's mooring line (not the marina's line) and snuggled up to the bow of a catamaran, also in the mooring field. The marina crew was out at daybreak to untangle the two boats.
The other errant vessels found rocks and/or mangroves to rest against during the latter part of the storm.
During the height of the 30 minute thunderstorm waves 3 to 4 feet and about 10 to 12 feet apart were lashing the boat. When angry, waves quit gurgling and switch to a sinister hissing.
The bimini, which we had furled and strapped up, started to peel apart. I went out to the cockpit with a handful of bungee cords to get it back under control. Losing only 1 bungee cord I was able to get the fabric strapped down and get my bedraggled self back under the dodger.
As the lightning strikes came closer a boat in the mooring field was hit. I just happened to be looking in that direction and saw it. Instantly, just like a 4th of July sparkler, a shower of sparks flew from the mast. Some of the other strikes were just a few hundred yards away and I could feel the heat on my face with each close bolt.
We have enjoyed the strong sea breezes which have made summer here quite bearable; however, occasionally we get too much of a good thing.
I realized I have not shared pictures of Coconut Grove - so here are some downtown scenes about 2 blocks from Dinner Key marina:
Miami City Hall located next door to Dinner Key marina:
1 comment:
Lightning is my least favorite thing when on the boat!! Hmmmm...now the "3 to 4 foot waves 10 to 12 seconds apart", THAT I predicted and was worried about when we stopped there and are the reason I vowed NEVER to stop at Dinner Key again!!! :-)
Glad you and Rising Star are OK and undamaged (at least physically if not psychologically!) :-)
Larry and Linda
s/v Enchantress
Post a Comment