Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Friends from Indiana

After a couple near misses of friends from Indiana we had a visit from Brian, Michele, and Sarah today. They are vacationing in Boca Grande and drove down to witness our (semi)nomadic lifestyle.

We had a great lunch at a little place in town, where Michele was able to catch me up on the tales from the Statehouse. We strolled downtown and the waterfront, then back to the boat to await happy hour. Fortunately, since they were in the company of cruisers that time came early. While De Anne doled out G&T's (the official drink of cruisers - medicinally necessary for hydration and malaria prevention) Sarah worked on her tan in the cockpit.



The dark clouds rolled in and the heat broke so we re-grouped in the cockpit for pictures.


I had told them about our turtle and warned of a possible visit. Sure enough, five minutes after they left our "pet" turtle showed up with a friend in tow. Obviously word of our hospitality to reptiles had gotten around -even under water. I must confess that once I tossed some food out cordiality ended and a free-for-all erupted. Even a 3 foot catfish joined the fray, but did not stay long when the turtles objected to his presence.



This morning we were approched by a TV news crew wanting to interview us as out-of-state cruisers about the water quality along the Florida gulf coast. De Anne, having just gotten out of the shower and feeling less than photogenic fled below leaving me in week-old shorts, dirty shirt, and a stubbly chin to do the interview solo. Check back - I'll link it if it shows on TV. This should be better than the last time I was on TV. Then, I was shown walking into the Indiana Statehouse while the voice-over explained the need for more Statehouse security measures. I appeared very sinister and they used it for months as stock footage.

We have others coming Friday. All visitors are welcomed!

No comments: