Thursday, June 10, 2010

Continuing repairs

We got the refrigeration unit back and working again. Yeah!!

Under the tropical sun, the stitching in the dodger and bimini have deterorated. De Anne fixed the bimini, but the dodger required a heavy-duty sewing machine. We made a trip back to the UK sail loft where another boat buck ($100) fixed that problem.

I ordered the special glue needed to repair a leak in the dingy. The day after that repair was successfully completed the dingy motor demanded my attention. De Anne was using the dingy solo when the motor starting misbehaving so I quite naturally delivered my customary spiel about how hard she is on equipment. The motor is in the shop and hopfully covered by warranty.

Even the grill has caused trouble. A few nights ago, with my carnivorous instincts at full throttle, I filled the grill with ribs. The grill mounts on the back rail - hanging over the water. This turned out to be a good thing when the overburdened grill tipped under the load of meat I had piled on. Ribs, ashes, and burning charcoal churned the water and my cries of "shucks", ""darn", and perhaps even a "heck" rolled through the mooring field. The fish under our boat are now pork fed.

De Anne has emitted a shriek or two lately. Occasionally at night shrimp will jump into our dingy. De Anne has tried to evict them in the morning, but if one is still alive and jumps at her, the response is ear-splitting. I don't want to eat shrimp that are dead in the dingy for who knows how many hours; but perhaps some evening soon I will pump an inch of water in the bottom to keep them alive for hors d'oeuvres the next afternoon.

CCoconut Grove skyline from our boat:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still sounds like "fun" work, though! And well worth the effort! Fourteen days!

Anonymous said...

Just keep repeating "I'm livin' the dream" over and over till you forget about the sails (and the ribs)

Jim S

capndeb said...

Sounds like you live on a boat!
I was belly-aching about the same sort of stuff once, on the phone to friends who had just put their boat on the Hard in MI for the winter... came home to the dish washer, water heater, washing machine, furnace and some other 'infernal' machine not working! I didn't feel so bad!