Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hummm....Cruising Tarpon Basin?

The title of this blog entry is compliments of Larry who sent me an email yesterday from Marathon. After watching our SPOT positions (see upper right corner of this page) his email was titled the above. Of course it was so funny I shamelessly made it my own.

We anchored on the southeast side of Tarpon Basin Friday and all was well until the wind switched and a storm blew in from the northeast at about 30 knots. De Anne was on the phone with Larry when I noticed we seemed to be underway. In the muddy/weed bottom our anchor held until the wind shifted, then with a ball of weed and mud in the anchor flukes it could not reset. I suggested she say goodbye and take the helm while I pulled up the anchor. We motored to the northeast side of the basin where it was a little more protected.

On Tuesday morning a cruiser came by and asked why we were not over by the government dingy dock. After assuring me the charted depths were wrong and describing the proper path - we got closer to civilization. We joined Richard and Sharron that night on their boat and had them over last night. Alas, they departed this morning, but a couple with 30 years of cruising experience and many trips up and down the keys can take more weather than we can. Once the winds drop under 20 knots we will resume our trip up the keys.

I now have 2 anchors down since Tuesday night's breezes caused us to plow a bit. Not dragging, but a very slow downwind glide.
Key Largo Sunset:
Richard & Sharron departing:

No comments: