Monday, December 14, 2009

Back to Marathon

We left our mooring Tuesday morning and staged outside the Marathon harbor for an early Wednesday departure. The predicted wind from the south did happen and we were off at dawn.

Within a couple miles we were past the reef and into the open ocean. Also into the ocean swell. I have been seasick before, but never like this! I now fully understand the old description: "First you are afraid you are going to die, then you are afraid you're not." After 5 hours of this I feebly begged De Anne to take shelter inside the Channel Five bridge we had just passed.

We anchored in Jewfish Bay where I slowly recovered. Thursday we motored north in a flat calm. The generator and electric motor kept us going all day at a sedate 2.8 - 3.0 knots using just 12-16 amps. Unfortunately, several times our speed dropped below 2 knots and I got a chance to stop the boat and go swimming (in mask and flippers) to clear the prop of weeds. We anchored at Cape Sable and discussed new plans.

Consulting the cruising guide, the warnings about not going to Marco Island, Naples, or Fort Myers Beach during the Holidays are quite explicit. The hordes of boaters all head there this time of year. Since going north was out we went south - back to Marathon.

To add to the fun our propane system gave up the ghost and the packing in the rudder finally failed. I will purchase a new propane system in Key West tomorrow and then take care of the rudder packing.

On our first day back in Marathon De Anne attended a ladies-only wine-tasting party. I am one lucky man! When she told our sad tale of an aborted Bahamas trip other women had even worse stories of failed Gulf crossings. Thank the Lord - I am saved!!!

Tuesday morning in Marathon (picture courtesy of Linda & Larry):


....and my picture of Linda & Larry (poorer quality than their picture):


Sunset Tuesday night:


A few hours after our return - a visit from Santa::

No comments: