With time on my hands I am pacing myself on boat chores and engaged in a little trip down nostalgia lane in reviewing our first season. We covered 595 miles - 352 under sail, 236 under power, and (unfortuately) 7 under tow. We stayed in 8 marinas and 11 anchorages, which doesn't count the times I had to pull and re-anchor in the same vicinity.
Our season was a half season since I was working during November and December and then came the 6 weeks of waiting in Mobile. Of the 105 days total since leaving Mobile we traveled 21 days, voluntarily remained in port 52 days, and had 32 days of weather forced inactivity.
Some cruisers we have met along the way are far ahead of us. Sadly, several have succumbed to the rigors of cruising. It is a hard lifestyle that punishes a wrong decision, a moment of inattention or just bad luck. In the real world (or unreal, depending on your point of view) there is much cushioning. Here, as I have said before, Mother Nature wins.
The rewards however are truly spectacular. I wish I could share adaquately the following experiences:
Sailing a beam reach down Sarasota Bay.
We have seen hundreds of dolphins and had up to 30 surrounding our boat at one time, but I have yet to get a good picture.
The ospry is a magnificent bird that has a silly, high pitched cry.
If you want a truly religious experience take a small boat 30 or 40 miles offshore in heavy weather.
The feeling of accomplishment and sense of relief when you run a channel and spot your anchorage after a day or two at sea.
The asmatic wheeze of a 4 foot long sea turtle surfacing.
Appreciation for a capable wife/sailor
The jubilation of going a whole day without scraping bottom.
When a pelican hits the water after a fish, the sound is like a fat man doing a belly flop.
The excitement of a correct weather forecast.
White powder sand under your bare feet.
Bucking the tide in Captiva Pass
Finding ripe mangos just laying on the ground.
Waves over the bow.
I know what you are thinking - you can almost hear Julie Andrews singing "These are a few of my favorite things" in the background.
Since we are docked for an extended period my blog output will slow down until cruising resumes.
At the Ft. Myers dock with a cruising Mainship 35 in the background:
2 comments:
I see El Cheapo bought an AC unit!!
Keep upright till Nov.
We will miss your posts and anxiously await hearing of your adventures again beginning in November. Both of you keep safe and enjoy the rest. Store up much energy for the season ahead!
Post a Comment