Sunday, May 3, 2009

Fun in the sun

Saturday morning we walked to the bridge over the pass from Clearwater bay to the Gulf. On the way back we took the beach walk and saw a volleyball tournament starting. Tall girls in bikinis! How could I resist watching! We double-timed back to the boat, cleared the camera, grabbed a cold drink and back to the beach. De Anne went swimming for a while but rejoined me at the tournament site later. I was relieved to have her with me so I looked less like a dirty old man. She had on her string bikini and looked very much like all the other girls around. She did however veto the picture I took of her for the blog.

Sunday we were going to take our boat out for a day sail with Skip. While we were waiting a couple with a decided european accent was walking the dock and asked if there were any boats for sale. It finally came out that they wanted to buy our boat. I let them look around and De Anne approved an interior tour. While his wife was still below he came back on deck and offered me $30K. I then realized he was serious. I told him I really couldn't sell our home. He then asked how much did I want. I told him I was sorry - no sale. If he comes back tomorrow I'll say $55K and see how hard he gulps.

Skip arrived and the wind increased. I was reluctant to go out, but decided with his help we might get out of the slip without leaving too many boat pieces on the pilings. Since he is the company captain for Regal Yachts and has about 1,000 times my experience I told him my plan and asked for his advice. Once we had a plan we sprung into action. Mother Nature had a plan too - turn the boat sideways in the slip. After several trys I called a halt. Skip then invited us back to his house to sail on his Oday. They keep their cruising boat (32 Westsail) in New England and use the Oday in Clearwater. He has restored it to better than new condition and keeps it on a lift in the canal behind their condo. De Anne, Rose, and I played railmeat as Skip tacked fearlessly back and forth in the crowded Intercostal Waterway. He then took us on a brisk broad reach north almost to Caladise Island. With cocktail hour fast approching we made good time back to their slip and had gin & tonics poolside before firing up the grill for burgers. Unfortunately the evening ended abruptly when I remembered I did not have my marina gate key and we had to hurry back before lockdown. A great day and weekend!

Looking out on the gulf:

South side of the pass:

Pelican doing an eagle impression:

Beach volleyball:

De Anne gazing into the bay (approved picture):

No comments: