Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Clearwater FL

We are settled comfortably at Clearwater Muncipal Marina. Just across the street is a wide, beautiful beach and the water is a striking green. The city provides free entertainment on the beach every night. Until today the weather has been beautiful even though a bit too windy for us to be tempted out to sea.
Tomorrow's planned departure has been cancelled. No beating out on the Gulf for us! Last Saturday's sail to Clearwater was fun and comfortable - we intend to keep our heads down until we can get more of the same.

We were going to anchor in the bay just outside the marina; however, with the high winds that keep blowing through prudence and comfort dictated staying in our slip. I extended our stay with the dockmaster. A week ($10 per foot) is the same price as 5 days ($2 per foot) and a month ($15 per foot) is equal to a week and a half. I am thinking of taking the month and waiting for calmer weather to arrive. I may even send De Anne out to get a job on the pirate ship. They had a help wanted sign out today. And speaking of the pirate ship - every time they come back to port (5 times a day) the last song they play is Who Let the Dogs Out? I now know precisely when they cue the music so some evening when I have had too many rum & cokes and/or gin & tonics I may start singing it about 10 seconds early, distract their customers, and ruin their cute little finale.

A trolley runs from Clearwater to the southern tip of St.Petersburg. Today we rode it to the end to see our next harbor entrance - North Channel at Pass-a-Grille island. Just after we arrived the first wave of a major storm blew in. We took shelter, waited for a clearing and walked the channel boardwalk. The next wave hit just as we were getting back on the trolley. We got back to the boat just as the third and most serious line of storms hit. I had already doubled up some dock lines but the wind was so strong the dock lines were stretching and I had to shorten several. The boat was pitching and rolling which caused me to have to time my leap to the dock. Graceful I ain't.....

Storm front moving in at North Channel, Pass-a-Grille


Rising Star in Clearwater

No comments: