Thursday, March 26, 2009

What I have learned (so far.....)

The wind blows southeast in Florida day in and out and that is the direction I want to go.

I learned to pay attention to the tide when leaving a harbor or anchorage. Then I learned the same about arrivals.

The boat can take more than I can.

A forecast that mentions 20 knot winds implies "or more", just as variable implies "none"

A forecast of waves 3-5 feet implies a 10 footer every 3 or 4 minutes.

Forecasts are 100% correct when the boat is tied to a dock.

A tough, capable wife - don't leave the dock without one.

Sleep is a habit that can be broken by being 20 miles offshore in adverse conditions.

Sea water is free - until you pump it into your holding tank. Being 3.01 miles offshore makes it free again.

I have learned that running aground is not shameful, but it's no great honor either.

There is not too big an anchor or too much chain after dark.

A marker just spotted is not necessarily the one you want just because it's the only one you see.

Exploring a new town every few days and finding what you need is fun.

Small town folks are friendly.

The Gulf is lousy with dolphins. They have to do tricks now before I get excited.

If you ever want waterfront property now is the time.

Cruisers are the nicest people - even the ones in trawlers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well spoken words of wisdom! You and De Anne are having the time of your lives. Take care, have fun, we miss you, and good sailing!